10/29/09

10 Things I Don't Hate About Sonomarin

No, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to play off that "10 Things I Hate About You" which I just now remembered had a very young, extra cute Heath Ledger in it. With....oh god, what was her name that improbably popped up in a Bourney Identity movie - or was it a Mission Impossible movie?

ANYWAY, so here's my "long awaited" Top Ten Things I Miss From Sonomarin; I'm combining the counties coz I lived in Sonoma but worked in Marin.

1) The parking. Sorry SueLin, but my recent hideously expensive towing incident bumps you out of the top spot. I sometimes, maybe had to walk 3-4 blocks when I parked in downtown Petaluma. And of course at home, I had a garage.

2) My friend SueLin. I realized the other night that even tho we've known each other for TWENTY-SIX YEARS now, this past year was the first time we'd lived in the same city since 1991. Although I already knew this about her, it was, of course, awesome to be able to spend time again with someone so smart, funny, generous......excuse me I have something in my eye! :)

3) My friend Lorrie. My only other friend in Petaluma. You could say, "How sad," OR you could say, "Well, how lucky you were to have two such fantastic people as SueLin and Lorrie for friends that you didn't even need any more friends!" I prefer to think of it as the latter.

4) My friend Mary. Mary is a ROCK STAR at Conservation Corps North Bay, and I am lucky that, for my year plus there, I had her there not only for support for my rants about Kyle and Sonomarin drivers, but also as a VERY helpful friend when Kyle and I lost our cat.

Break: the good thing about the above three, is I can still see them - but they're on the list coz I don't get to see them as much!

5) The wine. I mean, I can get wine here, and I'm trying to get back in the habit, but when you live up in Sonoma, you just kind of HAVE to drink wine more often! :)

6) The townhouse I had. Don't think I've ever lived in a place that was three stories before. It was kinda cool just for that, but also had a fabulous kitchen - probably the best I've ever had, and great amenities in the complex. Something that size, with the garage and those amenities, would probably run at least $2700 here. Welcome back to the City!

7) CCNB. Conservation Corps North Bay is an awesome organization doing amazing work and having a significant impact on the earth and our youth. I'm glad I got to be a part of it for awhile!

8) The quiet. While I love the bustle and hubub and vibrancy of the City, and have acclimated to the not-really-so-bad-most-of-the-time sound from the streets, it's still annoying on those nights when more than one siren goes by. Of course, I could live in the Sunset or Richmond if I wantedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :)

9) Papa John's. Yes, SueLin, there are some good restaurants in Petaluma, as well as in Marin, but I miss most the convenience of the Papa John's right down the street coz baking it yourself is not only cheaper, but taste better/fresher. Wow, I could do a commercial for them! Oh, wait, I guess I just did.

10) My boy. I saved him for last coz he's really, actually, the most important. Although Kyle still has some, er, life lessons to learn, I still love the little brat something fierce and miss him every single day!

So it may not be a very glamorous list, and of course is half-populated with people, but I did enjoy my time in Sonomarin overall. Word.

2 comments:

  1. I miss you too, even though you're only 40 miles away! Love your Blog, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty Six Years? Are you kidding me? That is incredible, isn't it? I miss you too, but I do love having another reason to get down to the city more often!

    -SueLin (reading this while having another sip of (Sonoma) wine)

    ReplyDelete