11/2/09

Sent via Blackberry

So I finally broke down and joined the "so 10 minutes ago" cool club by getting a Blackberry. Of course, it's still through CREDO, so I get to maintain my hippie cred. :)


My first impression: WTF? Why does someone need this much shit on their phone? I mean, I just don't have time to do even a TENTH of what this thing can do. And I don't want to make the time. I guess my generation gap is showing.


What's interesting, though, is that we're living in one of those few moments in history where you can actually almost feel/see the change, its happening so fast. I mean, if you took a Blackberry back to just 1989 - 20 years ago - most people would have been goggle-eyed at what all it can do.


Or maybe it's just me. I mean, I seriously am still blown away by TV (and even, to a lesser, extent, radio). I just don't grasp how IMAGES can be transmitted through THIN AIR. I mean, I've had it explained to me, "scientifically," a thousand times (or was it a thousand acres?), but it still blows me away. The phone itself is a trip--cell or landline. That you can hear someone's voice, instantaneously, through an effing WIRE, let alone the AIR?? I mean, seriously, as they say in "Shakespeare in Love," It's a mystery!


I remember coming back from Peace Corps, in 1999, right near the height of the dot-com boom and it seemed like, overnight (i.e., the 2 years I was away), everyone had gotten a cell phone! Of course, they were HUGE by comparison to today's.


I wish I could remember what show, it was something like Magnum P.I., where the hero had this HUGE effing cell phone. It was a trip. It looked more like one of those mondo-sized military walkie-talkies. Ah, back in the old days.


Anyway, the (first?) downside I've found to the Blackberry is how long the battery takes to charge and how long (as in not) it holds the charge.


But at least I'm cool for 10 minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment