11/24/09

Deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots - the fourth.

You know, even though she's cute and all, when her face pops up on my Facebook page, to the right, saying, "Is she into you?", all I can immediately think is, "Oh, god, I hope not!" Somehow, I think that's not quite the response they're aiming for.

Which is odd, coz Facebook, a la Big Brother, usually is pretty good at "targeting" their ads. But google mail or gmail or whatever is even better. I'll be reading an e-mail from Kyle, yakking about his latest mis-step towards enlisting, and at the top of my mailbox, is a little ticker with ads and/or news stories about the Army.

Creepshow.

But, in the meantime, it turns out that putting on a sweater, or in my case my awesomely warm and colorful Keith Haring bathrobe (I should do a commercial for it!), really does mean you can go without turning the heater on/up.

But only for awhile.

I think I might be becoming a bit too fond of those 7-11 Taco & Cheese taquitos. But damn, they're good! :)

Have to give a shout out to Disney's "Carol" - very gothic (wink to Brian). Keep in mind, I'm basing it on seeing it in Digital 3-D on IMAX. I swear, time and again it seemed to be snowing between my 3-D glasses and my eyes. And, thankfully, Zemeckis has managed to fix that dead eye look from "Polar Express."

Another cool thing about it: the ghost of Christmas present looks like a cross between Jesus and Santa (of course, he's written that way), and surprisingly Disney includes the exchange between Scrooge and the Ghost wherein Christmas Present chides him for thinking mankind can do things in his name. Anyway, I highly recommend it - again, at least the 3-D IMAX version.

Best. Carol. Ever.

I have a confession to make: my very favorite "modern day" Christmas songs is Michael Bolton's "Our Love is Like a Holiday"

The latest in Excalibur's parking spot: tonight, in the same area on Hyde, but a large space, the guy still had to have his buddy get out and "direct" him into it. It was comical; he had at least 4-6 feet behind him.

Later, across the street, a Smart car got into a space that only a Smart car could have gotten into. I couldn't have even gotten my Mini in it! But my thing about Smart cars is they are TOO small. I see them on the freeway and I immediately think of some dark animated cartoon wherein the Smart car is coming to a stop but accidentally bumps slightly the car in front causing the Smart car to burst into flames.

So the latest episode of "Dexter" (and latest, for me, is Season 3, Disc 2, Episode 8) had a very touching and yet distressing storyline wherein a dear friend of Dexter's--a sweet old lady, natch--asks him to put her out of her end stage lung cancer misery. And of course Dexter's all torn up coz it doesn't fit his "code."

I can imagine very few more horrible positions in which to be put. I can't even begin to fathom how I would cope with such a request. There was an exchange that implied it would be easier to do for someone you really love, that if they were in horrible pain, and all knew it was only a matter of time, that you could more "easily" do it because of that love.

Personally, I don't see it. If, for example, Kyle were begging me to "help" end his life, I can only imagine I would be so devastated at the prospect of him dying that there is no way I could contribute to it without having some kind of breakdown afterwards.

Curious to hear what others think about this. Could you "help" someone in this way? What would it take? Would it be easier or harder to do it for someone you REALLY loved?

Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment