10/22/09

Apoplectic With Rage

Disclaimer: Yes, I made a mistake and understand I should be "punished," but I would really like folks' honest feedback as to whether or not I still have the right, after my stupid mistake, to be so apoplectic with rage after the following events.

So I was excited to find a parking space on Sutter, just on the other side of the street from my apt., when I got home from work yesterday and saw no street cleaning until next Wednesday. I happily parked it there and decided to BART to work today and tomorrow coz I had late afternoon meetings and the bridge is a NIGHTMARE basically any time after 4:30 p.m.

But what I stupidly forgot was that side of the street has NO parking whatsoever every day from 4-6 for rush hour, and so of course when I got home the car had been towed. Because I went and got it wthin four hours, I didn't have to pay "storage," but still had to pay effing $373.75 to get it! There's no way I could describe the rage I am in.

The fees included $155.75 for the "SF Administrative Fee," $174.25 for the towing, and $43.75 for an "Extra Dolly or Flatbed Fee" - and for those who may have forgotten, or may not know, I have an effing MINI. A MINI needs an extra dolly or flatbed?

PLUS there were TWO tickets on it totaling $186, for a grand total of $560! I mean, seriously, can you believe that? And when I'm already so broke. GAWD!

Oh and of course one of the tickets was for "Towaway." I mean, seriously, this is just disgusting beyond belief. I mean, what kind of "human beings" make these policies?

How on earth would anyone with very little income afford something like this?

4 comments:

  1. Oh to be broke & saddled with bullshit fees designed to bolster the coffers following the economic mismanagement of our state & federal governments.

    I am pissed for you but I cannot even afford a bottle a wine to drown our collective sorrows...sucks out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would GLADLY pay for all the freaking costs just to live in SF damnit!!!! Plus you have that beautifully cute car. So suck it up...would you prefer to live in bad driver hell here with me?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deserved or not, the whole parking ticket/tow is like getting a giant wedgie from the 6th grade bully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of those fees are obviously inflated to get money for the city. They are broke too, but it doesn't seem fair to let them just charge whatever they want. The dolly/flatbed fee was tacked on to get more money for the towing company, which probably is just greedy. So it's digusting. But it's still not as bad as my wheels and tires being stolen while my car was (legally) parked in a BART parking lot. The total for the tow and repairs was over $1100.

    ReplyDelete