8/16/09

Streetwalkers

So one of the things I like about my apartment is that I am almost at street level. The almost is critical coz, rather than being eye to eye and them able to see in to my apartment, I am right over their heads--and I've got big windows that actually open, so I can kind of sit/lean out and see/spy on (if it's possible to "spy" on someone in public) the most amazing collection of people.

I think this is one of the coolest things about living in San Francisco--although there are definitely other cities that have this aspect as well--the sheer diversity of people you see/meet. I just looked out on to Hyde for about 5 minutes and saw seniors, individuals, couples, threesomes, every age spectrum except the very young, at least a half dozen different races/ethnicities, etc.

But what's even more interesting to me, is the people who stand out, for whatever reason, to you. For example, although there were many more flamboyant and/or loud and/or otherwise noticeable folks, the two that stood out to me the most were:

A grey-haired older man, probably in his late sixties, in a gray sweater and gray slacks and walking a gray terrier and/or miniature schnauzer. I think, obviously, the gray combo made him noticeable, coz he was otherwise very nondescript, just kind of trudging along with his dog. But I became curious as to what his life was like and started almost immediately down a macabre, unpleasant path that I kinda just forced myself to stop considering. Again,I blame it on the gray. The movie of his life, whatever it is, would definitely be filmed solely in shades of gray.

The other group I noticed most was a threesome--two guys and a girl. They looked very "European," all attractive, one of the guys was wearing shorts (! - had to be in the 50s by this point, but maybe I'm just a wuss). Anyway, interestingly, to me, they spoke both English and some unintelligible language that sounded possibly Scandinavian. Yeah, it was like a Mentos commercial. Check out these two; the first one is a spoof using footage from a JCVD movie or Chuck Norris show or something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_IAb_XmVa8

and this one starts off kinda slow, but is totally bizarrely funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCQ-fsfKgxQ

So anyway, I'd be curious to hear from others when you next people watch who stands out to you, and why. And for anyone who wants to make up a story using for main characters either of the two that stood out for me, based on the brief description I gave above, I'll give them a cool prize (well, I think anyone that reads my blog would think it's cool--but be warned: it is rather subversive--and Brian, you know you're already on enough lists!)

No comments:

Post a Comment