8/19/09

Scum of the Earth: Baby Boomers & Tourists

Okay, down chicos, I'm just playin' - a little. :)

One thing I don't miss about living in Petaluma (coming soon: the top ten things I miss about Petaluma--as soon as I can think of 10!) and working in Marin, is/was the Marin & Sonoma Co. drivers. NO concept whatsoever of the usage of the left/passing lane (psssst, I just gave you a hint!), WAY too brake heavy--hello? let up on the accelerator and you'll slow down, as well!

Most all of them generally drive in one of two modes: Timid and Panic.

I'm generalizing, of course, but the other thing I noticed about the drivers "up there," is the bad ones were all like late 50s and up--you know, the effing Baby Boomers (of which I am, admittedly, on the "cusp" of). Either that, or the driver was talking on his/her cell--because, for some reason, that law doesn't apply to them--and despite their swerving and 30 mph driving on the highway, oh no, it doesn't distract them.

Confession: I have to admit this is one time I hope there is a heaven and hell and that there is a special "level" in hell for those who have caused an accident while messing with their cell. It'd be on the level below mean and hateful customers, but above Dubya. Word.

Anyway, the other thing these old drivers do is OHMYGODITSASLIGHTBENDINTHEROADIBETTER SLOWDOWNANDSLAMONTHEBRAKES


Which, of course, provides you with the opportunity to see the truly skilled ones incorporate timidity and panic at the same time!

Or substitute "slight rise or hill" for "bend in the road" above. Repeat.


I mean, I know people get more cautious when they're older, but can't they be cautious out of my way? Dammit, why won't they just get out of my way? Discuss.


So having escaped those old people in Marin/Sonoma, I now get the joy of "interacting" with tourists. Driving tourists. The movie would be, "Driving Miss Davey Crazy."

The two modes that the tourists drive in, are, of course, Timid and Panic.

Can't we just stop them on the outskirts of the City, find out what all they were going to do, what level hotel they were planning on staying in, etc., and then just take the equivalent amont of money from them, give them a few t-shirts, and then they go back home??


Poll time!


J/K

No comments:

Post a Comment