8/16/09

Spicing Up The Supreme Court (The Boring Branch)

How many of you know, w/o googling, the names of all the Supreme Court Justices? Stop to think & count before reading further...and then remember your number for a poll at the end.

Now granted, I was stoned when I first asked myself this question--in an e-mail to my friend Brian wherein I shared a fantasy that Sotormayor would actually turn out to be very liberal (in her future rulings).

But then also, suddenly (cue dramatic music like this from Drama Prairie Dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs), Clarence Thomas falls in love with her, and in a misguided attempt to court her (no pun intended, but certainly appreciated now), begins voting as she does.

But to make the fantasy complete, Scalia would have to die in a police shoot-out, as he's caught selling crack in DC to his hooker (I almost made this MUCH more NC-17--email me if you'd like to hear my alternate version of what happens to Scalia).

Anyway, I then thought, so if we got rid of Scalia, and had Thomas voting with Sotormayor, that would just leave Roberts as the worst. At least Kennedy is not awful, and we still have Ginsburg. But after those, I couldn't recall the current remaining three.

I found Stephen Breyer's name when I googled Ginsburg to make sure I spelled it right. But even then, in the brief time it took me to write two sentences, I forgot his name and had to go back to the other tab/page to find it again. Even as I'm typing this, I'm thinking, "Wait, is Stephen Breyer really a Supreme Court Justice?" All I can think of is ice cream.

Oh god, Alito! How could I forget him? I just this second asked myself after googling again. And, finally, as for John Paul Stevens, I actually thought of him but then "remembered" he was dead, so...

Which begs the question: Is it "bad" I thought that about John Paul Stevens? Discuss.

Also, let's try another poll to compare how many justices people could recall. Go here:

http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/644733-195149

COMING SOON: Asterios Polyp! (the what you say!)

No comments:

Post a Comment