1/21/11

Immigrants: The Real Americans

Am I the only one who's appalled at the ongoing obsession with "immigrants?" Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should just open the floodgates and let anyone and everyone move here that wants to; I know that's not feasible on several different levels.

However, the savagery with which all the slack-jawed, gap-toothed, inbred yokels rant against them is astonishing--particularly when you consider America's relatively unique circumstances as a Nation of Immigrants. There's no way you can spin the fact that, outside of however few full-blooded Native Americans are left, EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. in this country is descended from immigrants.

I've actually traced my roots, and have found multiple branches that go back to VERY early arrivals in N. America - from as early as 1712. But I would never presume to claim that I have any more "right" to live here than even a second-generation "American." And what's most appalling is that a vast majority of "immigrants" have a MUCH higher appreciation and regard for what it means to be an American than most any of these savage, gun-toting freaks hurling racial epithets all over the place.

Here's a great example: the following exchange is from a recent "Harper's" magazine forum wherein they gathered some ad execs to, somewhat tongue in cheek, develop a Super Bowl Commercial for America - trying to restore pride in our country, etc. The folks got into a discussion about immigrants and check out this story:

Williamson: For one account I worked on, we interviewed a guy on the street. One question was
about the American Dream. He was like, “You’ve got to be an immigrant to appreciate the American Dream. Americans don’t appreciate the American Dream.” And that’s the sentiment
we’re talking about.

Frank: Florida’s new senator, Marco Rubio, sort of said this in his speech on election night. It was
very impressive. I’ll probably never vote for the man, but what a speaker.

Fair: Perfect example: I’m in a cab a couple weeks ago, and the driver hands me a sheet of paper. He says, “Can you please read this to me?” And I say, “You have been summoned . . .” And he’s like, “I have been summoned?” And I’m like, “Look, really—pay attention to the road.” He’s excited that he gets to go to court! I’m like, “Dude, you’ve gotta go to court.” He asks, “For what?” I say, “I don’t know, it says you’ve gotta be here.” “What day? Can you please tell me?”
And he had a full calendar, like, “Can you please circle the date for me so I can go to court?” I say, “Yeah, you’ve gotta be here at this time. I’ll write the time down. You cannot be late.” “I will not be late!” I’m like, if you were an American cab driver we’d be sitting here talking about how you could get out of going.

Fitzloff: Was it jury duty or was he actually getting a summons?

Fair: He was getting a summons! I asked him, “Dude, you know you’re getting sued. Did you kick
this lady out of a cab?” “No, I didn’t kick her out of the cab.” We had this whole conversation. But the bigger thing for him was, “I get to go to court!”

Fitzloff: Imagine if it was jury duty. He’d be out of his tree.

Fair: I told him, “Dude, I would not be excited. This is the one moment when you don’t want to
go.” He’s like, “Is there going to be a judge there?” It was that whole process for him. He
felt like he was an American. He’s waving the summons around, going, “Only in America do I
get one of these.”

That's right, baby - only in America can you get a summons for kicking some lady out of your cab!

I know part of the anti-immigrant fervor is simple ignorance and fear of "the other" (thanks again, GOPigs, for making that such a prominent plank of your "idiotology"). For those of you who missed it, click HERE to hear the appallingly racist bit from Rush Limbaugh mocking the Chinese President's recent speech.

When mild-mannered CA state Sen. Leland Yee had the gall to be offended by this, and suggested a boycott of advertisers on Limbaugh's show, how do you think "dittoheads" responded? I mean, what could be more American than protesting by refusing to support businesses that support racist hate? Oh wait, I know what could be more American: death threats!

That's right, rather than step up and try to "counter" Lee's suggested boycott by encouraging right-wing racists to more fervently support those advertisers/sponsors, Lee received a fax with a litany of racist comments and a drawing of a noose. Later, he received another fax that said, "Yo, fishface," with a drawing of a bloody shirt in the crosshairs of a gun sight (thanks again, Sarah Palin!).

As it so happens, Yee has recieved death threats in the past for having the gall to regulate (not ban) violent video games. Yep, for real: "If you regulate violent video games, I'll kill you!"

And the most disgusting and appalling thing about this is that these kind of threats come from slimy assholes who have the chutzpah to claim THEY are "real" Americans. It makes me sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment