2/23/11

Why I Left Youth Court & Where I Landed

So as many of you may know/recall, I was TOTALLY psyched to get the E.D. job at McCullum Youth Court a year and a half ago. I (still) think it's an amazing program having a real impact on a serious issue and in some ways wish I was still there. Just with different Board leadership.

About3 months after I started, we were informed we were losing a federal funding stream - that accounted for well over HALF of Youth Court's revenues. I immediately informed the Board's executive committee and assumed the Pres. would call an emergency meeting to address the issue and/or strategize how to replace the missing funds. Instead, he elected to wait for the next regular meeting, in six weeks. At said meeting, I provided a list of folks to contact/advocate for restored or emergency/bridge funding. The Pres. treated it as just another agenda item (and, in fact, spent more time discussing an arcane aspect of the by-laws), did not exhort/encourage Board members to do anything to help, and instead asked for suggestions on staffing cuts.

Over the course of the next year, this same pattern repeated itself at every single meeting: me pleading with the Board to join me and the other Management Staff in calling, writing, meeting with community stakeholders to get some emergency funding while I continued the ramped up foundation outreach and other development work to diversify our funding. Every single time, the Board Pres. treated it as just another agenda item, asked for more staffing cuts, and never encouraged or asked Board members to help--and did absolutely nothing himself, as well.

When it finally became clear that of course a new E.D., on his own, was not going to be able to wave a magic wand and restore over half of Youth Court's funding in one fell swoop, and that the Board Pres/VP felt no responsibility whatsoever to make any significant effort to even TALK to anyone at the city or county level to help, I had to leave. Obviously, this is the short version, but I can honestly say that in all the years I've dealt with"challenging" and "disengaged" Boards, I have NEVER seen a Board Pres./Leadership so COMPLETELY abrogate their responsibilities regarding the non-profit they were supposedly responsible for. It was appalling beyond belief and beyond myself, many community members, parents, youth, and the press were also shocked at the negligence displayed.

Sadder still, while there are a few fresh faces that have come on recently, and would provide markedly more effective leadership, the arrogant fuck currently serving as Board Pres. refuses to step down (despite repeated calls to do from several different voices)--even tho he had no problem laying off TEN people and fucking up their lives. Because of my inherent cynicism, it's hard for me to be shocked these days by people who do evil, wicked, and/or grossly inconsiderate things, but even I was/am appalled by this loser's behavior. And while I would have to leave eventually, or take a big pay cut, I finally decided I could no longer work under someone so despicable.

Luckily, I landed at a place that's a bit different for me in terms of population served but I think it's going to be a pretty cool experience (ever the optimist! yes, that's me, the cynical optimist!). The place is called Little Brothers - Friends of the Elderly (check it out here: www.littlebrotherssf.org).

Long and short of it, we provide matching volunteers for isolated elders for companionship, and also host/put on a variety of social events to get them out and about and engaged. It's a small office that is literally ONE block from my apartment (which means no more daily walking exercise to/from BART so I'll have to join a gym), with two young women who seem really cool and I get to hire a fourth person (anyone wanting a development/programs assistant job in the law/mid 30s, let me know!).

More to come, I'm sure, as I get settled, and thanks to anyone/everyone who had to endure my rants over the past year regarding the asshole Board Pres. at Youth Court! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment