1/5/11

You Say You Want a Revolution?

So as any regular reader of my blog (and more) know I've been growing increasingly disgusted by what passes for "political debate" and "governance" in this country.

Well, this year, I've decided to perhaps try doing something about it. I'd like to form a new political movement - not necessarily just as a counter-weight to that stupid Tea Party movement, but to address ever-growing schisms, irrationality, and corruption in our national policies and debate.

Yes, I know it's hard, and it might not be successful, but I'm sick of feeling powerless and enraged. I'm sick of seeing un-educated, racist, slack-jawed, evil yokels controlling the debate and getting attention. And I honestly do believe it's still possible in this day and age to make a difference if you can get enough people involved and keep them engaged.

While there are many issues that need to be addressed (hello? we're all on the verge of an eco-disaster), I primarily want to focus on one issue that I feel will have a significant impact all across the board: from the ridiculous and preventable economic catastrophe we're having to the eco-catastrophe we're still facilitating--from the ludicrous promotion of corporate "rights" over individual rights to the shitty way we treat kids in this country and demonize science and education.

That issue is money in the political process. As you may or may not be aware, the incoming House Republicans are hosting a FUNDRAISER the day before they even take office! Seriously? Leaving aside the hole they'd be ripping Democrats for doing the same thing, I will certainly validate their rationalizations that it's just a "necessary evil" in the current system.

So let's change the system. I'm not suggesting this would be a "one-issue" movement, and/or that other, relative issues won't be addressed. I'm just using the issue of money in the political process (via campaign donations, PACs, lobbyists, etc.) as the foundation.

I also hope to ATTEMPT to "dial back" a bit on the dialogue--I know I'm guilty, too, but everyone just screaming at each other is not going to help.

I think, too, one of the ways to be successful is to focus this new group (let's just call it "The Grand Coalition" for a placeholder for now) on reaching out to all the awesome orgs out there that are doing stuff now and build a cohesive movement.

With all that being said, however, I know I can't do this on my own. So I'm looking to see who is interested in helping, joining, planning, whatever. I talk to and hear from A LOT of people who claim to be as fed up and disgusted with the current situation as I am. But I don't know how many of those people are willing to quit watching "Dancing with the Stars" long enough to actually do something.

So I'm asking: Who's with me? Who wants to help me launch this, who wants to be heavily involved, who wants to be on an e-mail list to be kept in the loop to maybe become involved, or what? Please respond by commenting below or e-mail me at: pcdavidw@hotmail.com to "sign on" - I'll put this up a couple of weeks in a row to see what happens and then plan a launch party or event or whatever in February.

Don't think you need to be living in the Bay Area. For this movement to be successful, we'll need help from all over!

Now let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment