7/10/14

Worrying More About What I Have Yet to Read Rather Than What I'm Currently Reading!

As many of you already know, I have recently begun to get a wee bit “obsessive” about my “to be read” (TBR) book list.  Obviously, I love reading - and have a wide range of tastes - so it’s not hard for me to add books to my list, to my Kindle, etc.  And the reading group I started on Facebook some months ago has only “exacerbated” my “problem” – full of other bibliophiles, we are constantly suggesting books, gifting/swapping books, etc. 

While, on the one hand, I love having a large variety of books loaded on my Kindle, and on my TBR list, knowing that I’ll always have a nice range of choices for my next read, on the other hand – and for reasons no doubt due mostly to my own personal neuroses – I was also starting to get a little “panicked.”  How could I possibly “survive” without being able to read all these awesome books?  What would I do if my TBR list and/or Kindle queue became so long that I finally became paralyzed over what to read next or – heaven forbid – became so overwhelmed, I just stopped reading completely? (okay, fat chance!)

Luckily, my recent, extended “vacation” time has allowed me to do some serious reading.  In the past 7 weeks, I’ve managed to read 9 books.  And quite a range, too, from alt-historical-fiction to fantasy, to young adult, to classics, to non-fiction, etc. etc. etc.  I’d gotten my TBR list “down” to 153 books and my Kindle queue down to 36 (that is, after adding about 3-4 more books to the latter and about the same number to the former while reading those 9 books just mentioned).

Then my mom sent me an Amazon gift certificate for my birthday.  Sigh.  But I decided I would ONLY get books that were on sale, and that were currently on my TBR list – so while my Kindle queue would grow larger, my TBR list would shrink by the same number.  “Progress!”  J

I was able to take seven books off my TBR list and transfer them to my Kindle queue.  Patting myself on the back, I was also a little “proud” of the variety – until I realized it was that “breadth of taste” I have that contributes to the length of my TBR list.  Oh well.  To demonstrate, the seven books I added were: Slaughterhouse Five, Stephen King’s 11/22/63, Pete Hautman’s Mr. Was, Nancy Farmer’s The House of the Scorpion, Neil Gaman’s American Gods, Frances Fyfield’s Staring at the Light, and Robert Chambers’ The King in Yellow.

As I went through my TBR list – searching one by one for a sale so I could get as many as possible, I noticed that some of the books on my TBR list had relatively “low” cumulative reviews/ratings.  While my friend Mark scoffs at this herd mentality, my experience has taught me that – almost no matter what the genre – if a book has a good number of reviews, and is still able to score a cumulative rating of at least 4 stars (out of 5), odds are I’m going to like it; unless, of course, it just happens to be one of those few genres/types I simply am not drawn to (e.g., a Harlequin Romance). 

I decided right then – for my own sanity – that I would drop any books that did not have at least a cumulative rating of 4 stars.  UNLESS (there always has to be an unless), it’s by a favorite author, or is ranked a bit lower due to “love it/hate it” and I can glean from the summary that I would fall in the former camp, or was highly recommended by someone I know/trust.  I felt safe in doing this because I know I have books on my TBR list that have been there for YEARS – and many of them from a time when I’d “carelessly” add a book to the list based on one good review from a particular magazine I used to subscribe to.

So, even though it took quite some time to go through my long TBR list (seriously, go to Amazon and type in 150+ books, one by one, check out the reviews, and decided if you’d like it or not), I did it just to “combat” my admittedly-somewhat-childish obsession with my TBR list.

Of course, the problem was I’d come across books that were on the “cusp” and read the summary and think, “Oooh, I want to read that now!”  J  Alternately, I’d come across books that were “only” rated 3.5 stars, notice it was a first novel, and then see books by the same author underneath, with a 4 star or higher rating, and then I’d read about THAT book, and simply swap out the title and keep the author on my list.  Sigh.  (Just as a suggested reading for friends, the one that struck me most was swapping out Tom Rachman’s “The Imperfectionists” for his later “The Rise & Fall of Great Powers: A Novel”  Seriously, folks – go check it out!  J )  Finally, what also made it difficult was many of the books were on sale/cheap on Kindle and it was a MAJOR battle to keep me from going ahead and getting it and putting it on my Kindle.  But as I am currently not drawing a salary, it wasn’t too hard to fight down those purchase urges!  J

At the end of the day, while my Kindle queue grew to 43 books (thanks to mom’s gift certificate), my TBR list shrank to…………drumroll please………129.  Just having it under the “130” mark adds a bit to my psychological health!  My new goal is to keep my total TBR/Kindle queue to under 150 – which will require a great deal of discipline and/or more intensive reading, as right now I’m at 173.  But I can do it!  Now back to “Terrorists of Irustan.” 
 
I was all excited about this until I realized at least a dozen of those titles on my list are “trilogies” or the like.  Sigh.  Just shoot me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment