7/16/14

Postcard from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I was surprised to see that, as in Thailand, they drive on the left in Malaysia.  I had thought all this area was “French Indo-China” so would follow French rules.  Oh well. 

Also like Thailand, the Malaysians don’t have electrical outlets in the bathroom--annoying!  Now that I think about it, though, that’s probably a relatively recent phenomenon in the states.  Back in the day, there were no such things as electric toothbrushes, hair dryers, shavers, etc., so why would you need an outlet in the bathroom?  So I would end up shaving in the living room/main room of wherever I was staying.   Honestly they don’t have as many outlets, period, in other parts of the world.  They just don’t have as much STUFF as Americans do.  I mean, when I left Oklahoma, in my living room I had plugged in a TV, DVD player, Cable/DVR box, Wii console, printer, a floor lamp, and my computer.  And then once Christmas came along…..

The Malaysians are even friendlier than the Thais.  I felt bad coz after living for a year in China, I generally shut down around people in public.  And in Kuala Lumpur (KL), people were smiling and saying goodbye to me even as they got off the elevator. 

I don’t know if I mentioned this in any of my China blog entries, but all throughout Asia (at least so far in China, Thailand, and Malaysia), the KFCs, McDonald’s, etc. all deliver.  That continues to weird me out, I don’t know why. 

Although tourism is a fairly big industry in Malaysia – at least/especially in KL – I saw a LOT fewer whites/westerners than in Bangkok or Guangzhou.  In fact, I had a couple of locals ask to take my picture with each of them (individually) when I was sitting on the steps in front of the Petronas Towers.  This is kind of weird considering most everyone speaks English, you see English everywhere, etc.  It’s truly the international language (better it than German! Ha!)

As for Petronas, they are pretty awesome to see – esp. at night.  They are still the tallest twin towers in the world, and were the tallest buildings in the world period for six years (1998 – 2004).  Fun fact: try to guess which structure was tallest in the world for the longest period of time?  Half of you will give up and the other half will say, “Duh!  The Great Pyramid of Giza!” which was tallest for a shade less than 4,000 years until being surpassed by the Lincoln Cathedral in England.  Another fun fact: the world’s currently highest observation deck is in….Guangzhou!  The Canton Tower.  It has held that distinction for a whole 3 years since its completion, so some time to go before topping the record of 42 years, which is jointly held by the Eiffel Tower, and then the Empire State Building.  Unfortunately, it turns out you need to snag tickets DAYS in advance to go up to the Petronas observation deck.  But I wasn’t TOO put out – it looks better from below/outside, and KL also has a very high observation deck on their KL Tower—including an outdoor one.

I have to say, my vertigo was kicking in a bit at the outdoor observation deck of the KL tower, but then when I went to the lower level enclosed observation deck and saw the comparison with The Canton Tower, I am amazed I was able to survive the “bubble car” ride around the outside top edge of the Canton Tower’s outdoor observation deck.  I WAS borderline freaked out, and clutched pitifully at the railing inside the bubble car for the whole, tortuously slow crawl around the tower.  Hey, Mindy Harris, that reminds me: you never shared your pics from that! L

Of course Malaysia was ungodly hot and humid, too – duh, it’s even closer to the equator than Bangkok!  But, on the plus side, they have a VERY long elevated, enclosed, air-conditioned walkway that branches out a bit through their downtown area, and I was able to walk from the main shopping area of Bukit Bintang (which was not too very far from the condo I was staying in) all the way to the Kuala Lumpur Convention Center/Mall/Park, which then deposited me into an underground mall/walkway to get the rest of the way to Petronas.  Sweet!  J

Speaking of the condo I stayed in, it was pretty nice, basically a large studio, with sliding doors to separate the living area and bedroom.  I was up on the 19th (of 20) floors with a nice city view—unfortunately on the opposite side of the building facing Petronas/the KL tower, BUT the rooftop pool faced that way and I did get some awesome pics.  I think I spent like $35 a night, so as you can see KL is still pretty cheap.  On the whole, I‘d say it was close to Bangkok.  Some things were cheaper, some things were a little more expensive.  They did also have a Krispy Kreme, though, so bonus!

And, like Thailand, some of their malls are pretty amazing.  The one closest to me, Berjaya Times Square, is the 8th largest building in the world in terms of floor space, and has an indoor amusement park.  Beyond the above, and some general other misc. sightseeing, I got my requisite Christmas ornament and Hard Rock Hurricane glass and felt pretty satisfied with what I saw.  I would think you could do KL very well in 3 full days (I was there just a shade under that).

I would wait until 2016, though, when their Metro system is finished/updated.  They do have a monorail system, but unfortunately it was useless for me, as the two stops nearest the condo I was staying in were closed because of construction or a sinkhole(!) or something.  One more KL bonus: no China smell!  J  Of course I did spend a lot of my time scurrying between a/c’d malls, but I did also take a stroll through their Chinatown, and did a fair amount of walking in general and was never blasted by an “OMG, the smell!” like I was in GZ or sometimes in Bangkok.

As I readied myself to move on/leave KL, I came across a pack of gum in my backpack with one piece left, thank god, that I could finish before having it whipped/caned out of my mouth upon arrival in Singapore. J

To save a little money, and partly for the “experience,” I decided to take the bus from KL to Singapore.  It was about $15 for a 5+ hour ride.  The seats were supposed to be “massage” seats but they weren’t, and the personal entertainment centers in the seatbacks weren’t working, but I had my Kindle, the seats were good sized/comfortable enough, the bus was A/C’d, etc., so it was worth saving almost $100, IMHO.  And as far as time, once you factor in the time to get to and from the airport, the fact that you need to be there at least an hour before your flight departs, blah blah blah, it was probably only a couple of hours longer overall. 


At the end of the day, while I wouldn’t say KL is a “destination city” unto itself, I would definitely recommend setting aside a few days of part of a trip to SE Asia in general.  

No comments:

Post a Comment