11/6/13

10 Things I Like About China, 5 Things I Miss in the U.S. and 1 Very Cool Thing That Makes Me Proud to Work for Disney!

So I recently interviewed for another Peace Corps jobs – this one in Georgia.  As I made it to the final round, I thought seriously about whether or not I would go ahead and leave early (my contract is not quite half over, not to mention my lease).  Surprisingly, or maybe not so, as I thought about it, I realized I’d still rather stay at this point.  For all the “challenges” I’ve faced in China, I realized there are things I actually LIKE about living here.  So here’s my “Top Ten” (okay, it may be my ONLY ten – lol):

1)      I like the fact/idea that I’m working for Disney.  I’ve always been a Disney freak, and I’m still enough of a little boy to think, “Oh, cool, I work for Disney!”  J  Not to mention the perks of free movie passes to see Disney flicks, my Silver Pass for free parks admission, my Disney discount, etc.  The first time I went to HK Disneyland, I was wearing my Disney “Voluntears” t-shirt and had more than one person approach me and gush about how cool/awesome it is that I work for Disney.  Love it.  I’m also lucky in that the Disney English Center I’m at is a good one, with a cool staff/people I like working with & hanging out with (ESPECIALLY BEX!  Yay, Bex, here’s a reference just for YOU because YOU YOU YOU are so awesome!), a good location and physical layout, etc.  VERY lucky.
2)      I like living in Guangzhou on the whole.  It’s very lush and green/tropical for such a large city, it’s very cosmopolitan, in a great location, with a lot expats from all over.  It also has an awesome history (as CANTON - reference for you, Foreign Devil SueLin Poh!), lots to do, etc.  While I might consider living in Shanghai (or, possibly, Shenzen), I’m glad I’m here of all the places in China – okay, I’d probably live in Hong Kong, too, but again its just a 2 hour train ride away.
3)      I like the fact that I can get the first 3 seasons of “Game of Thrones” on DVD for less than $5.  Or the entire series of “The Wire” for less than $7.  And, of course, I’ve already blogged about the incredible movie collection deal that I got.  J
4)      I like my apartment.  It’s the perfect size for just me, in a good location, very white and “mod.”
5)      I like the long holidays.  While, technically, they don’t celebrate as many different holidays as they do in the states, when they take time off, they REALLY take time off.  I just got 5 days off for “Mid-Autumn Festival” and come next Jan./Feb. will get nearly two weeks off for Chinese New Year!  Hello, trip to Thailand and/or Singapore without using vacation days!  J
6)      I like the fact that it’s cheap enough for me to eat out pretty much every day if I want.  There are a variety of places nearby where I can get an entire meal for like $2.  And I just recently discovered the place across the street from me has awesome fried rice for less than $2. 
7)      Speaking of eating out, I’m actually eating BETTER here.  I eat more vegetables, and while “fast food” and SOME Western junk food is available, it’s pricey enough that I only get it for a special treat.  It’s a big deal for me to splurge on a Dr. Pepper, for example, or a Three Musketeers – but that makes both of them that much more “special” and enjoyable.  J
8)      It’s not violent here like it is in the states.  Yes, they act like savages when they’re pushing on to the Metro, but it’s a BIG deal when there’s a murder, and you most definitely do NOT have the everyday senseless violence that you see/hear/read about in the states.  It’s a nice absence!
9)      I like that I can afford to have a maid and afford to take taxis when I want.   It’s nice to not have to have a car - which is usually the deal in any real city, of course, but not always in conjunction with cheap taxis. 
10)   Finally, for all the challenges and cultural differences, I still like the “intellectual stimulation” that comes from living in a totally foreign culture.  It makes you question your values and assumptions, it keeps you on your toes, I think, and makes you feel more “alive.”  My grandma always said you had to experience the bad and the challenging to make you appreciate the good and the easy.  I used to think that was crap, but now I see the wisdom in it.

Now, on to stuff I miss from the states.  Amazingly, this list is shorter.  I’m sure if I really tried, I could come up with more, but I’ve been “stewing” on this for some time, so maybe not….

1)      Of course one “must” say friends & family #1.  J  But, seriously, as depressing as Oklahoma is as a place to live, spending the time I recently did there was nice to be able to see my family on a regular basis again.  Esp. my adorable nieces & nephews.  And of course I miss my friends, too.
2)      Football.  Specifically college football.  The time difference and my schedule makes it even more difficult as I can’t even watch games online or through Skype – outside of the occasional “oddly” or “off” scheduled game.  For those fools who just don’t understand, during football season, I would literally spend 12 hours in front of the TV flipping between games every Saturday, would usually catch another game on Thursday and/or Friday night, and would probably spend another 10+ hours a week reading about stuff online.  Sigh.
3)      Sorry for those goody-two-shoes, who don’t understand/appreciate, but I miss marijuana.  Not only does it make everything better, more fun, more interesting, it helps with my glaucoma and occasional insomnia. 
4)      Certain food/restaurants – especially Mexican food.  Fortunately, the Irish Pub on the ground floor of my  building recently started a Tex-Mex Tuesday with really good tacos, so that’s a help, but I really miss the variety of GOOD Mexican I could get at home, American style breakfasts, DONUTS, soft cookies, cherry juice, etc. etc.
5)      I miss the convenience and variety.  Again, I’m lucky to be in Guangzhou which has its own conveniences and variety, but even the 24-hour 7-11s and their like still don’t carry all the things I would get at a U.S. store.  Yes, there are movie theaters here that show some “major” U.S. films in English, but not like San Francisco where I could walk to 5-6 different movie theaters and have my choice of at least 15-20 films each week.  In fact, let me add a “5A” to this list: San Francisco.  This is kind of a cheat, coz I missed San Francisco while I was in Oklahoma, but I still REALLY miss it.  In fact, the one thing that could make me go ahead and ditch Disney/this experience would be if I could snag a well-enough paying job that I could afford to move back to The City.  Sigh.  Someone make it happen!  J

I’ll end with a really cool thing that makes me proud to work for Disney.  Below is a memo recently circulated regarding a big Disney fan who often calls Disney HQ.  As someone who has worked with developmentally disabled folks, this touches my heart.  Again, I know Disney is not the perfect corporation – NO business its size is, these days – but they’re still pretty damn cool, all things considered.  Enjoy!

Greetings everyone!

Many of you are aware of, and have probably talked to, a very special young man by the name of Billy.  Billy is 23 years old, he is highly autistic and he LOVES Disney!  He loves to call and talk to us (because we are Disney) several times a day.  Many of you have been asking what to do when he calls; below are the instructions on how to handle his calls.  For those of you that have not talked to Billy yet, I’ve also included some key indicators that will help you determine if it’s him calling:

He may:
·       ask to speak to a manager right away
·       his speech may sound a bit slurred (he doesn’t speak to anyone else very often, at all.  He speaks to his parents and his sister with usually only a one word response to their question.  We are literally the only people that he has ever conversed with and carried on a conversation with!)
·       repeat the same questions over again
·       get excited and shout out “Hi Manager!!”  mid-sentence
·       request to be placed on hold so he can listen to our Disney music
·       It could also be hard to hear him.  Some agents have reported that it sounds like he is calling from a large room with a lot of noise in the background. 

Here is how you should handle his calls:
·       Please be kind, courteous and professional, just as you always are with all of our Guests. Remember, from the 4 keys….  Every Guest, Every Time! 
·       If he asks to speak to a manager, let him know that you will be happy to assist him with his questions and you will also be happy to put him on hold so he can listen to our hold music – but you really won’t put him on hold…. keep reading
·       If he insists on speaking to a manager, you may transfer him to our Guest Services Dept
·       He is only interested in Disneyland and not Disney’s California Adventure.  He wants to know the Disneyland Park hours and which attractions are operating on that particular day.  (Sounds like his favorites are Space Mountain, Big Thunder and Splash Mountain.)
·       If he asks which attractions are down, please tell him that it is our understanding that all rides and attractions in Disneyland are fully operational at this time.   (He gets worried and becomes very concerned when he hears that one of his favorite attractions is not in operation.)
·       If he asks about the attractions in WDW, tell him that it is our understanding that all rides and attractions are fully operational in WDW at this time as well
·       After you have answered a couple of his questions, you may offer to put him on hold so he can listen to our hold music.  But you aren’t really going to put him on ‘hold’. You will ‘cold transfer’ his call to a Speed Dial number that we have set up that goes directly to our hold music.  It’s speed dial number 660.

I had the great pleasure of speaking to Billy’s father for quite a while.  He brought tears to my eyes when he said to me, “Thank you to you and everyone else at Disney Travel for taking the time to talk to my son.”  At this point, he is getting choked up and he’s having trouble getting out these next words…”You have no idea what this has done for him and our family.  Disney did what hundreds of thousands of dollars paying a speech therapist couldn’t do.   How in the world can I ever repay you people for that?  I have spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars paying doctors and speech therapists trying to help my son to get him to speak.  You have no idea the impact that you (Disney) have on people; especially people like my son.  Thank you.” 

Remember… Every Guest, Every Time

No comments:

Post a Comment