9/25/13

Guangzhou Diary VII

So I’ve reached a turning point – I actually no longer “mind” being in China and am, in fact, a little “glad” to be here.  Yes, I know it was my choice to come here, and I thought it would be “all that” (mostly just coz I’m a history buff, honestly), but the culture shock was still, well, a shock!  But two things helped bring about the change of heart: 1) a typhoon.  Ha!  But seriously, as I mentioned the other day on FB we had a day off of school due to a typhoon that actually fizzled out by the time it hit the GZ area.  Anyway, combined with a mid-Autumn festival holiday day off, it gave me two days off, and I knew I’d go back for one day and then have my weekend.  The psychological boost of just getting a free day actually made me miss the kids/work.  They’re just so CUTE!  J  Unfortunately, I can’t post pics of the little rugrats on FB, but if anyone is interested in seeing some of them, I’ve got some cute shots from our recent end of term presentations, so hit me up if you’d like to get a look at some of my favorite students.  The second thing that has suddenly helped “endear” China to me is a boyfriend.  Yeah, believe it.  I won’t bore you all with the deets, so again shoot me a note if you really care to know more.  With an upcoming trip to Hong Kong and Macau, I’m finally, really grooving on the experience.  Woot, woot!  J

Chinese oddity: apparently, you can only buy toilet paper in bulk here.  I was lucky in that the previous tenant left some behind, but as I got down to my last roll, I started comparing prices at different shops and kept putting off buying because I couldn’t find anywhere that sells less than 10 rolls in a pack.  Turns out, no one does.  Although I still eat out a lot/buy a lot of takeout, I generally still shop once a week for basic stuff, and I’ve got my little IKEA rolling cart which is handy for a decent amount of stuff for me to wheel home.  But a 10-pack of TP would take up the whole cart.  Finally had to break down and get some last week and then carry it separately (fortunately, the pkg. had a convenient built in handle).  On the one hand, it makes sense to sell it in bulk: it’s something you’ll always need, it saves on packaging (strike that: each roll was individually wrapped within the outer packaging – fail!), etc.  But, on the other hand, since many folks DON’T have cars here, it is definitely a bit “onerous” to lug home a jumbo pack of TP on top of everything else.  I know this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but I still find it a bid odd.

Speaking of odd, the Cheerios here don’t taste like Cheerios.  They’re not necessarily bad, and they’re definitely the General Mills brand, etc., but they are just a little off.  It took me awhile to get up the “courage” to buy milk here in the first place, but I was jonesing for some mashed potatoes, in addition to breakfast cereal, as well as French toast.  And then Nicky pointed out I could buy imported New Zealand milk at one of the western markets here, so voila!  But then the not-quite-Cheerios-tasting Cheerios.  On top of that, breakfast cereal is even more outrageously expensive here than it is in the states and I only got the Cheerios coz it was on sale.  On the plus side, I made some awesome mashed potatoes the other night!  J

I also had some awesome, homemade (of course) Mexican the other night.  Heaven!  It was actually leftover from an introductory meal I made for the new BF, who was trying Mexican for the first time (he didn’t like it – the fool!).  I tried making Spanish rice in my rice cooker but didn’t put enough “non rice” ingredients in it, so had to get a Lawry’s Mexican seasoning packet to add to the leftovers, added some chili powdered up chicken, stuck a crowbar in my wallet for cheddar cheese, made some homemade salsa, and then added some guac-flavored chips (not TOO horribly expensive from another Western mart) and was in absolute heaven.  Mexican food is definitely high on my list of things I miss.  Sigh.

Staying on the food theme, I had my first moon cakes this month for the mid-Autumn festival and they were a mixed bag.  Courtesy of Disney, we all got a certificate to pick up a free “deluxe” box of the “goodies” from the GZ Marriott.  Well, I’m definitely glad I got the box, coz it’s hella cool (recently posted a pic on FB), but as for the mooncakes themselves…  It’s funny coz my friend Bex had almost exactly the same reaction to them as I did: (bite #1) “Hmmm, these actually aren’t that bad…”  (bite #2) “Hmmm, what IS that taste, tho?”  (bite #3) “Oh, sweet jesus, these are nasty.” After which I promptly spit out the third bite and threw it and the rest of Mooncake #1 in the trash—and then took the other five very prettily wrapped ones to work and gave them to folks I like and who actually like the nasty things.  I later heard from some of the locals that these particular mooncakes just weren’t that good – clearly more effort was put into the packaging.  As it turns out, someone brought some in to the Center a few days later and I had a small berry mooncake that was actually pretty tasty.

We had Moon Festival content for our lessons during the holiday time, too, which was a bonus/help for lesson planning and included a special song, “Hey, Moon” that I think is the best song I’ve heard so far in the Disney English content.  Amy & I taught my F2D class the song and then we sang it for their parents in Clubhouse after class and tore it up! SO cute! J 

When I went to get my mooncakes, I also checked out the Grandview Mall – my new favorite place in Guangzhou.  I was a bit thrown when I got off the subway stop, though, coz it said it was the Tee Mall, which I had been to previously and thought, “Hmmm, are they one and the same?”  But then I quickly discovered, no, they are just two huge malls right next to each other.  The number and size of malls in this country continues to blow me away.  Said malls are basically also connected to each other by an underground mall - AND there is a thriving street market in between the two above ground.

Anyway, my initial impression of Grandview was, “Eh, same ole same ole…” but then I noticed a Toys R Us sign, found a mall map and realized I was just in one of the four “small” atrium areas and there was a huge central atrium with more stuff.  So I wandered over to that area and jackpot: multiple, funky dioramas, several large aquariums, water fountains scattered hither and yon, a Dairy Queen where I promptly scarfed up a banana split, an ice skating rink, and a huge arcade and small amusement park.  SCORE!  Plus, the aforementioned Toys R Us where I got some cool little model kits of “buildings from around the world” which are just too cute for words.  BONUS: out front of the mall there was a local Michael Jackson wannabe gliding his way through “Smooth Criminal.”  All in all, definitely one of my better days in China.  J

Speaking of shopping, I’ve now hit several local pedestrian malls and shopping areas (pics are posted – as well as pics for the above-mentioned Grandview).  I was slightly disappointed with a few exceptions:  The Beijing Lu pedestrian area was a bit cooler, with a movie theater and ultra-cool glassed in sections of previous levels of the streets from Chinese dynasties stretching back almost 1,500 years.  The Shangxiajiu pedestrian street was cool for all of the statues and sculptures—as well as the architecture.  Finally, the African Market definitely had the most “local color” and was less touristy/more authentic.


COMING SOON: My first trip to Hong Kong and Macau!

No comments:

Post a Comment