10/6/10

Deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots the tenth!

So I “finally” bit into the Stieg Larson apple and saw “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” – the largest grossing movie in Sweden’s history! No spoilers here, don’t worry, but I would recommend it if you like crime thrillers and/or if you like damaged women getting vengeance on siimy assholes. And the movie has everything evil in the world in it: murder, arson, Nazis, incest, rape, and, ewwwww, romance – there’s something for everyone!

Of course, if I’d known ahead of time there was a vivid rape scene, I probably wouldn’t have even rented it—I just can’t stomach a rape scene. So I fast forward and look the other way until it’s over; and then, as I say, vengeance is involved later. And such complete and utter vengeance! I know they’ve already signed Daniel Craig for the American version, and he should be pretty good; but I can’t imagine going to see it after knowing the ending. Think I’ll just stick with the Swedish versions.

OMG, I just saw THE most disgusting thing. One of those Hummer limos – and not just a regular fucking disgusting hummer limo, but a STRETCH fucking disgusting hummer limo. And you know the kind of person that would rent something that appalling these days is the same person who’d say something like, “Change the dollar bill? I’ll leave the damn country!”

Again, please, LEAVE! Why can’t we cut them loose and split the country up? Do I have to hold my breath or something? Sheesh!

It’s a few weeks later and I got to see “The Girl Who Played With Fire” at the Lumiere this weekend. That Noomi Rapace or whatever her name is that plays Lisbeth is effing off the hook! I would NOT want to mess with her. If you see it, and find the ending a bit too implausible, I would recommend you remember the early scene with her and her grandfather wherein he calls her “invincible.” When he says it, YOU believe it, too (assuming you’ve seen the first movie or read the books).

This one wasn’t quite as drawn-out suspenseful, but it had more intense suspenseful moments, I think; it was also more violent (no mean feat), which I didn’t appreciate. The guy certainly drew up an interesting, oddball lot of characters (particularly the bad guys—oh man, are they bad and deserving of what they get).

Changing the channel: I have to say I don’t quite get the panty-wetting over Modern Family. I watched a couple of episodes and while it has some mildly and even a few pretty amusing moments, on the whole it’s not much different from most of the other drivel on Network TV.

Part of it is I’m just tired of that unattractive-middle-aged-male-with-a-gorgeous-young-hot-wife. I mean, please. And of course the two homos are stereotypically nelly and quirky. And the other couple with their smarmy kids are just like 10,000 other sitcom families who happen to regularly have bizarre and larger-than-life experiences.

I mean, Glee is by no means without its problems, but it’s light years ahead of Modern Family in terms of originality and fun (although Glee’s stereotypically nelly homo trumps the...but wait, the homos in Modern Family also just happen to have an adopted Asian child; whew! They maintain their lead). And of course Modern Family gets the Emmy. Example #4,372 why I don’t watch TV except on DVD.

Okay, seriously, is it my imagination, is it a “side effect” of getting older, or are Americans, in general, becoming even MORE selfish, spoiled, self-absorbed, fat, and/or stupid? When I was in L.A. last week, I was shocked at the number of fat people. I know a lot of them were tourists (believe me, you can tell), and I know San Francisco is an anomaly in terms of per capita overweight folks (a major anomaly), but it appears when I travel that more and more people are fat, and the fat fat ones are growing (pun intended) even MORE fat. And I’m not talking about just being “overweight” or a large person.

Airplanes are a "perfect storm" where these issues come to a head. Can I just say to all the clueless and selfish people lugging their monstrous bags on the plane who stand in the aisle and block it so people can't get by:

Get your fucking shit — get your fucking shit — out of the aisle; and then get your fucking shit put away. And your fucking shit shouldn’t be as big as your fucking fat ass which you know wouldn’t fit in the thing they don’t use by the gangway to measure – in fact, why aren’t the stewards/stewardesses calling them on their shit? (outside of the Jet Blue guy).

I think we need to have a national “call people on their shit” week and people will know, ahead of time, that they will be called on their shit during this week and so they can’t get offended or mad. They just to have deal.

People will either be like, “Oh wow, I didn’t realize I was so (choose one) selfish, spoiled, self-absorbed, stupid, whatever.” And maybe make an effort to change. But, of course, more likely, they’ll be pissed/offended no matter what, get mad at YOU for calling them on their shit, and will continue to be selfish, spoiled, arrogant, clueless, self-absorbed, stupid, etc. :(

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment