4/15/10

When Things Go Right

So, as these things invariably go, just as my Match.com subscription is expiring, I started exchanging e-mails/meeting some decent guys. Okay, I've only MET one, but still chatting with a couple others that have potential...

I've been my snarky & cynical self with the process because I "finally" decided I've been too dismissive of guys based on little/limited initial "attraction." However, I'm obviously not getting the same courtesy (or I'm just a bigger loser than I thought - comment away, bitches!). I also have been more "mature" about accepting that it may not be fireworks and train whistles and all that good stuff on the first date, but that as long as it was decent, the guy had decent hygiene, isn't a psycho, etc., I'm willing to give it the old "college try" and meet a second time. But, again, am I getting the same consideration? Pffft.

And so I've learned there are few things more annoying than feeling like you're being noble and accommodating and all that good stuff and feeling like you're not getting the same consideration in return.

Of course there's also the flakes and liars that either preclude ever meeting in the first place, or have SO. COMPLETELY. misrepresented themselves than when you actually meet, you don't recongize the person you'd been chatting with. At all. So because of all the aforementioned crap, when something goes right, it's SUCH a pleasant surprise!

Case in point: A got a bare bones e-mail from a guy on Match that just said, "Wanna grab a cup of joe?" On the one hand, I was like, "Humph. How abrupt." But then, on the other hand, I was like, "Well, at least it's straight to the chase and no room/time for b.s. and all that." So I agreed to meet him last Saturday for coffee/tea at a place Downtown.

Let's call this guy Kevin, since that's his name. I show up on Saturday and surprise, surprise, not only is Kevin there, but he actually looks like his picture! Already this is the best date I've had so far in a year of Match.com.

It also turns out he has good hygiene, he appears not to be a psycho, and we had a nice time, So is there a second date?

Miracle of miracles, there is! We had dinner last night and although there were a FEW more minor "periods of silence," it was still good. One of the things that I like about him is that he at least APPEARS to be really mellow and down to earth--despite the fact that he's a Scorpio. :)

I just feel comfortbale, at ease, myself, etc. with him, which is something I haven't felt with any potential "romantic partners" in some time.

So I walk with him to the BART stop after dinner, we chat a bit more, and then discover we both actually want to go out again. So we made plans to go to the Oakland Zoo this Saturday, which is awesome coz I've never been and it's supposed to be a rock star zoo, etc.

So I headed home after a hug and quick kiss, and heard as I walking off some woman comment to Kevin--I'd kinda/sorta noticed her standing nearby, waiting to meet someone or something--anyway, she said something to him like, "Awwww, that was cute!"

Weird thing about that: that "validation" from a complete and total stranger took what was already a nice evening and a nice ending to the evening to a whole 'nother level. Suddenly, I was grinning broadly, and dare I say it, almost started skipping home. Seriously.

So I wanted to share this to show that I CAN drop the cynicism, that I AM still making the good faith effort to share my life with someone blah blah blah, and that no matter how many times in life you get dealt crappy hands, the law of averages says eventually you're going to get at least a couple of pairs...and maybe, eventually, even a royal flush.

Woo-hoo! Should I bet the house or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment