5/10/24

Rating the Cities in Montenegro (so far!

Now that I've spent time in six cities in Montenegro, it's time to rate them!  While I haven't experienced a "bad" city here, below is how I would rank the ones I've visited:

1) KOTOR: The reason I came to Montenegro in the first place. If you have the opportunity to take a cruise that stops here, Do. It. And be sure to be on deck or your balcony when the ship sails into the Bay of Kotor. It's breathtaking. The town itself is a UNESCO site, squeezed in between the mountains and the Bay, and the history is fascinating - even more so now that I've learned more about it in my 7 months here.

2) CETINJE: Speaking of history, Montenegro's former royal capital is jam-packed with it, thus my affinity for it as a history major. It's a charming, dare I say bucoclic, little town that is probably better served today by the fact that Podgorica is now the capital. Lots of things to do and see in the area, so if you happen to find yourself here, definitely spend a day or two exploring this place. And click HERE for more of the history.

3 BUDVA:
 To be fair, I only spent a couple of days in Budva, and really mostly just saw the Old Town/surrounding area. But it's a cool Old Town with some areas going back to pre-Roman times. There are some good beaches, as well, and other nearby attractions such as monasteries, St. Stefan Island, etc. It's probably the most "mod" looking/feeling town I've been in in Montenegro. 


4) BAR: While I didn't spend the night, we had a few trips here as trainees for various reasons, so I got to see a fair amount of the city - altho never made it to their Old Town. I consider Bar a sort of "Budva lite" with similar atractions/reasons to visit. There is a BEAUTIFUL fairly new Orthodox Cathedral that is not to be missed.

5) PODGORICA: If not for Jakarta (now being abandoned as it sinks into the ocean), Podgorica would be the most boring capital city I've ever visited - and I've seen more than 50.  That being said, it's certainly not unpleasant, has some good restaurants and parks, and a lot of trees. Almost one-third of the country's population lives here - not as rare as you would think, but still not common. 


6) DANILOVGRAD: Danilovgrad, my site/placement, is a perfectly normal, average small town. The location is nice in the sense that it's ringed by mountains, with a nice river running through it, but said location apparently makes it brutishly hot in the summer - the hottest city in Montenegro and sometimes in all of Europe. So not looking forward to that! lol  And part of the reason my vacation is most of July. But it's safe, clean, has some decent restaurants, good grocery stores, etc.  There are worst places to live than "perfectly adequate."  


Still to see: Tivat, Herceg Novi, and "the North"

Disclaimer: Any thoughts, observations, opinions, etc. are of course mine and not necessarily the views of Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment